Jamie Geller's spills her secrets in this cooking demo. Sponsored by Labriute Meals.
Published: January 31, 2009
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 1 hour, 15 minutes
Chill Time: none
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
1 (1-pound) box penne rigate
2 (26-ounce) jars prepared marinara sauce
1 (32-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Cook ziti about 2 to 3 minutes less than package directions for al dente pasta. Drain, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix marinara sauce, ricotta and 1 cup of mozzarella.
4. Combine ziti and sauce mixture and stir until well combined, making sure there are no dry patches of pasta. Pour into pan and spread to edges.
5. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over ziti to cover.
6. Bake, covered, at 375° for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
7. Serve hot, straight out of the pan.
One of the secrets to this ziti is that the pasta is slightly undercooked before it goes into the oven, which helps prevent it from becoming too mushy.
Wesley Kosher Supermarket donated all the groceries for this episode.
Wesley Kosher Supermarket.
455 Rt. 306