Beef Poridge Bread Bowls
Jamie Geller cooks up the ultimate soup that eats like a meal in this cooking demo sponsored by Labriute Meals.
Published: February 14, 2009
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes
Chill Time: none
Yield: 6 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (2-pound) bone-in or boneless flanken
1 large onion, chopped
12 cups water
1 (6-ounce) package split pea soup mix with spice packet
1 (6-ounce) package barley and lima bean soup mix with spice packet
15 baby carrots
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 stalks celery, cut in 1/4-inch slices
Whole Wheat Bread Bowl
1. In a 6-quart stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Rinse meat and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place flanken and onions in pot and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until meat is lightly browned on both sides.
4. Add remaining ingredients, cover and bring to boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface and discard.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Ladle into bowls and serve.
To turn this soup into an elegant meal serve it in bread bowls. Buy specially made bread bowls from your local bakery and slice off the top creating a lid, set aside for serving. Hollow out the inside, fill with steaming hot soup and replace the lid.
Wesley Kosher Supermarket donated all the groceries for this episode.
Wesley Kosher Supermarket.
455 Rt. 306