- Sugar - 1 cup
- Flour - 3-4 cups
- Baking powder - 1 ½ tsp.
- Salt - ½ tsp.
- Butter or margarine - 8 oz.
- Eggs – 2, beaten
- Orange juice - ½ cup
- Mix dry ingredients together and cut in shortening until it is in small pieces.
- Add eggs and orange juice.
- Mix together into a small ball.
- Roll out on a floured surface.
- Cut out rounds with a glass.
Filling: Jam - 16 oz., prune or your favorite flavor jam (Substitutes: poppy seeds or chocolate chips)
Put one teaspoon filling in center of each round. Pick up edges in center to form a triangle and pinch dough together with floured fingers. Baste top with egg yolk diluted with a bit of water. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
(From "Adventures in Bubby Irma's Kitchen," by Irma Charles, Targum Press)
ESTHER'S FRUIT PUNCH
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (4 oz/125 g)
- Oranges – 3 thinly sliced
- Lemons – juice of 4
- Pineapple – 2 cups (8 oz/250 g) of diced fresh
- Strawberries – 1/2 cup (4 oz/125 g) diced
- Dry white wine – 8 cups (2 qt/2 l)
- Sparkling Wine – 3 cups (24 fl oz/750 ml)
Chill ingredients first, then add wine just before serving. Serves 20.
Hint: Freeze some wine in ice cube trays, and use this instead of ice cubes to avoid diluting your punch.
MORDECHAI'S RUM PUNCH
- Water – 3 cups
- Sorbet – 1 pint melted of passion fruit or similar flavor
- Orange juice - One 12-ounce can of frozen concentrate, thawed
- Pineapple juice - One 12-ounce can of frozen concentrate, thawed
- White Rum – 1 1/4 cups
- Golden Rum - 3/4 cups
- Grenadine - 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Lime juice - 3 tablespoons fresh
- Nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated
In a large punch bowl or pitcher, combine all ingredients. Fill 6 tall glasses with ice, and pour in the punch. Serves 10.
(Punch recipes courtesy of cooking.com)