1. A major census is recounted in the parsha. Where else in the book of Numbers is there a census of the Jews?
In parshas Pinchas, in the last year of the 40-year journey in the desert, another census is taken of the Jews (Numbers 26:1).
2. Which nasi (tribal leader) has the same first name as a nasi (national president) in the time of the second Temple?
Gamliel ben Pedatzur, from the tribal of Menasheh (Numbers 1:10), shares a first name with the famous nasi and great sage of the second Temple era - Rabban Gamliel.
3. In this parsha, with respect to which two people does the Torah explicitly state that he has no sons?
The Torah states that the eldest sons of Aharon, Nadav and Avihu, have no sons of their own (Numbers 3:4).
4. Which nasi (tribal leader) is the brother-in-law of Aharon the High Priest?
Nachshon ben Aminadav, the tribal leader of Yehudah, is the brother-in-law of Aharon. Aharon is married to Elisheva, the sister of Nachshon (Exodus 6:23).
5. Which two people in this parsha are explicitly called a "firstborn"?
Reuven, the son of Yaakov (Numbers 1:20), and Nadav the son of Aharon (Numbers 3:2), are each called a firstborn.
6. Whose death is mentioned in this parsha? (2 answers)
The deaths of Nadav and Avihu are mentioned (Numbers 3:4).
7. Which of the 10 plagues is mentioned in this parsha?
The deaths of the Egyptian first born is referenced in the law of redemption of first born sons (Numbers 3:13).
8. Which relative of Moshe shares the name of an ancient city in the land of Israel?
Number 3:19 mentions Moshe's uncle Chevron (the brother of Moshe's father Amram), who shares the name of a well-known ancient city in the land of Israel where the Patriarchs and Matriarchs are buried (Genesis 23:19).
9. The name of which "mysterious" animal appears six times in this parsha?
Before being transported, many of the Tabernacle vessels are covered with skins of the tachash animal (Numbers 4:6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14). The identity of this animal is not conclusively known (see Rashi - Exodus 25:5).
10. Which five members of the same immediate family have names that begin with the same Hebrew letter?
Five members of Aharon's family the High Priest all have names beginning with the letter alef: Aharon, his wife Elisheva, and their three sons: Avihu, Elazar and Itamar.